You brighten my day..

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Growing Indian greens.

Are you an Indian expat pining for your favorite greens from back home?
Methi(fenugreek), konpir(Coriander), Sarson(mustard) etc..
Then stop pining and go grow some.
Yes, you heard me right!
(All pics clicked by my soon to be 10 year old..:-))

All you need is a little space, a garden pot, some mud and seeds(I got them from India and am sure every Indian expat household will have them in their spice containers. For the above pot, I used 75 gms of fenugreek seeds).
Now is the time to take advantage of the summer, warmth and sunshine and get these greens growing. And trust me, it's not hard. This is my second harvest and the third one is on its way. The family and I are thoroughly enjoying our home grown greens that I am thinking of maybe freezing them for winter. If I figure out a way, I will let you know. Till then, get that patch growing.

P.S: You can get used garden pots at flea markets or Intakt for cheap, new garden pots at OBI. Bags of mud/earth are available at any florist(there are 2 in Lohr) or at OBI. Place the mud in the pot, sprinkle the seeds and pour a very thin layer of mud on top of them. Place the pot in a spot with plenty of sunshine and water once a day. You will see green sprouts in 3 to 4 days. Allow it to grow for as long as you want. I let it grow for 3 to 4 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. You have just inspired me to grow my own Methi!! My existing plants partially died when we went to Mlore..need to revive those too! Your patch of greens is lovely May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Shireen!! I will have to break my head about the plants while we are on holiday. I used to grow methi in Bangalore too. Never liked the ones that were sold in the market. They were too fibrous and chewy, found it hard to eat.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you stop by to say a few words...