You brighten my day..

Friday, January 13, 2012

Orchid Love

Can you believe that two years ago I got these orchid plants for 1.99€? Yes, only 1.99€!!!! I too couldn't believe my eyes considering the fact that orchids are horribly expensive. Wondering whether they were selling plants that maybe sick, I nevertheless picked up 3. They were filled with plenty of blooms and looked pretty.

Once home, the blooms lasted for 2 months and then the plants went through a hiatus for the next one year. No flowers at all. I firmly believed that I would see  no more flowers and decided to try my miracle revival method that I followed back home....:-) The summer of 2011, I promptly trimmed their roots short just like a military haircut the soldiers in the army have and repotted them. The following months saw the plants grow sturdier and stronger with new foliage, but no buds.

Imagine my surprise when I saw all of them sporting buds a month before I was to leave to India. Joy turned to despair wondering how would they survive without water(I could have asked for anybody to plant sit for me, but considering the fact that they are delicate and me a possessive mommy to them I chose not to entrust them in anybody's care) 

So here they are, slowly beginning to bloom....They survived 3 weeks without water(This bold step was taken after reading the article here). I cannot wait to see my windowsill lit up with orchid beauty. 

7 comments:

  1. flowers make everyone happier..I hope they bloom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Macro shots. Have a nice weekend, May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see them in full bloom. I'm sure they will make their mother very proud :)

    I'm off to read your Christmas post and then I hope to finish my Christmas post. Geee, I'm so far behind.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos and hope you enjoyed your trip back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous orchids May! Wow..i wish I had read ur post before i travelled..i left them in the care of my maid & she over watered them :( half of my ornamental plants have died...i hope to revive them soon. Nice post & nice pics dearie..glad u enjoyed ur trip to India!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shireen, sorry about your ornamental plants!!! I know it's very hard to travel when you have to leave plants and pets behind..:-(
    Back home, I used to entrust them to my maid, but of course with umpteen instructions. She knew how much I loved my babies, so she took extra care of them knowing that if something went wrong, it would blow my lid off!!!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I visited your blog today - I saw you on 'Terra Garden.' Your photos are so pretty, colorful, and full of life!! I see that you have alot of travel pictures. My daughters love to travel, and took a trip to Europe a few years ago and got to see many wonderful places. We started a blog, and we would love it if you could visit us and follow. I would enjoy coming back to visit with you. Your photos are wonderful, and I have enjoyed browsing through them. I hope to hear from you, and have a lovely evening.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you stop by to say a few words...